Parents’ Age Requirements for China Adoption
- Married couples 30 to 50 years old are eligible to adopt from China
- Married couples 51 to 55 may apply to adopt a child with special needs only
- Married couples 55+ are eligible to adopt a Special Focus child
- Single moms 30 to 50 years oldare eligible to adopt a Special Focus child
- Please see ADOPTION FOR OLDER PARENTS
Parents’ Health Restrictions Regarding International Adoption from China:
Families are NOT eligible for International Adoption from China if any of the following apply:
- Diagnosed with major depression or any other severe mental health concern
- Current diagnosis of depression or anxiety or currently on medication for depression or anxiety. Must be treatment and medication free for over 2 years.
- History of alcoholism within the last 10 years;
- Any major surgery or transplant within the last 10 years; contact our office with questions
- One or both parents use a wheelchair or mobility aid; or missing limbs.
- History of cancer
- Any disease in infectious stage.
- Severe disease which requires long-term treatment and which affects life expectancy, like malignant tumors, epilepsy. lupus, nephrosis, etc.
- Blindness. Deafness unless adopting a deaf child.
- BMI over 40. Use this calculator to determine your BMI
Financial Considerations for International Adoption from China:
- The family must show a positive net worth (assets vs. liabilities) of at least $80,000.00.
- There must also be an income earning of over $10,000 per person in the household, including the adopted child.
- Adoptive parents must demonstrate an annual minimum combined income of $30,000. This represents $10,000 per adult + $10,000 for the adopted child. An additional $10,000 income is required for each additional person in the household. For example, a married couple with two children living in the home must earn at least $50,000
Ctiminal Considerations for International Adoption from China:
Families are NOT eligible to adopt if any of the following apply:
- Current warrants or currently on probation.
- History of drug use or charges.
- Any arrest for a violent crime (examples: assault)
- History of domestic violence, sex abuse, abandonment or abuse of children
- Any felonies.
Applications will be considered on a case by case basis if the parent has fewer than three criminal records of slight severity with no serious outcomes with ten years passed or fewer than 5 traffic law violations with no severe outcomes. Direct any questions you have regarding this to Tina.Qualls@ChildrensHope.net
Marriage Requirements for International Adoption fro China:
- If the first marriage, couples must be married over 2 years.
- If either spouse has 1-2 divorces, the current marriage needs to be a minimum of 5 years.
- Couples where one or both spouses have 3 or more divorces are not eligible
Educational Requirements for International Adoption from China:
- Both parents must have received education at or above high school or vocational skill training.
Family Size Restrictions for International Adoption from China:
The CCAA limits the number of children currently in the household to a maximum of five.
- Couples with fewer than 5 children under 18 years old living in the household may adopt from China.
- Couples with adult children (not living in the home) may adopt from China.
- Couples with more than 4 children in the family; but not all living at home, may adopt from China.
- If there are more than 4 children living in the household; family may adopt only through the Waiting Children’s program.
- If you have recently given birth to a child, you must wait until the child is 12 months old to submit your dossier to China.
- If you have recently adopted a child , you must wait until after you have submitted the 12 month post-placement report to submit your dossier to complete another adoption from China.
- Please contact Tina.Qualls@ChildrensHope.net to discuss your specific situation.
Religious Requirements for International Adoption from China
- Families with religious beliefs that prohibit any kind of medical treatment, including blood transfusions, for the child, will not be eligible to adopt. According to the CCCWAA this includes religions that use alternatives to blood transfusions, as this is not available in every country.
Citizenship Requirements for International Adoption from China
- One adoptive parent must be a US citizen
- If one parent is not a US citizen; the other parent (who is a US citizen) must travel to China to complete the adoption.
- If you are a US citizen living abroad, Children’s Hope can help you to adopt from China.
See EXPAT SERVICES
|None of the children that you see here are available for adoption. We have received permission from each child’s parent or guardian to use their child’s photo on our website.|